Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Ok i'm going to try this again. although i'm going to apologize prematurely- the pics for these first two meals won't be there, so you'll have to use ur imagination. Reason 1- because I left my phone in my car and it's hella cold and i'm lazy. Reason 2- because i was really hungry and once i dig in, i can't stop until satiated. I promise that more will come with subsequent posts.

I'll also let you all know that I have gone cooked vegan, although i'll retain this blog name; like i said, i'm lazy (and busy) and I like the ring to it.

If you're wondering why I've been MIA for almost 2 years, let me fill you in on what's been happening. I was accepted shortly after my last post to a Naturopathic Medical school outside of Chicago, IL. I moved and have been here studying my butt off and not really getting culinarily creative unless I have a get-together with my classmates, where i've had the opportunity to try and showcase different vegan dishes, exemplifying how they stand up to traditional SAD dishes. Perhaps down the road, i'll share pics of these parties, but for now, i'll focus on my most recent yummies.

The move has also brought some failures along with triumphs, both in the culinary and personal fronts. I've burnt just about as many relationships as i have dinners, but i've also savored more in luck and love than the taste of the finest food in the world. I've slaved over books, projects, exams, and work MUCH more than I have over the stove or Vitamix, and I have to admit in retrospect, it's been so incredibly worth it. I've now settled into a good relationship (ironically with my boyfriend I had when I started this blog), have a stable (not to mention amazing) group of friends here in what is now not such a "foreign" city. And it is now, in this comfortable state, that I have returned to my passion. Health, cooking, and writing. Oh, and eating. Lots and lots of eating.

That being said, here's some recent nom nom i've been shoving into my face.

1. Roasted Red Pepper & Roasted Tomato Soup
This is one of those recipes that make me wish my Vitamix was wide enough to fit my entire face into it so I could savor every last drop. I've got issues. but trust me, you'll get it after you try this. 

Ingredients:

  • 5 Red bell peppers
  • 5 tomatoes
  • cayenne pepper
  • smoked/sweet paprika*
  • cumin
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 T nutritional yeast
  • 1 pinch of Himalayan salt
  • Celery Salt** 
  • 1/4 brick tofu (i used silken, but it doesn't really matter)
  • 1/4 avocado, diced finely (optional)
*did you know? paprika is essentially the red bell pepper version of celery salt (see below)
**Celery salt is essentially dehydrated diced celery that is FP (food processed) into a powder.

Steps:
  • dice tomatoes into small cubes
  • line a baking sheet with parchment paper, bake at 400*F for 15 min
  • halve and de-seed peppers
  • if using a gas stove (like I did), turn two burners on
  • using tongs, place halved peppers directly onto burners/flame (i prefer outside down) and char
  • flip them and char the insides or until soft. 
  • place them in a Ziploc (careful, they'll be hot) and seal. let them steam for ~10 min
  • remove tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper, let cool
  • remove peppers from bag and peel off charred skin (it'll be really easy once they've steamed in the bag, but it'll be messy, so wear gloves)
  • toss 1/2 of the tomatoes, peppers, tofu, garlic, spices into Vitamix (or blender of choice) and blend until creamy
  • place the other 1/2 of the tomatoes in bowl of choosing. Pour blended pepper mixture over it. season more if needed, and add diced avocado if desired. 
Overall this took me like 25 minutes tops and gave me about 45mL of soup. I had planned on saving some for lunch. Whoops. 


2. 'Creamy' Asparagus Soup
I use this as a base for many other recipes including dips, sauces, and my Fat Free (Fat Free) Pesto. 
Recipes will follow. 

Ingredients:

   Base:

  • 1 bunch green asparagus
  • 2 bunches white asparagus
  • 1/3 block tofu or 1 cup chopped and steamed cauliflower/rutabaga
  • celery salt
  • 1 vegan boullion cube
  • 1/2 T black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic

   Soup:

  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1 tsp sage
  • sprinkle of paprika for color
   Dip:
  • 1/4 C nutritional yeast
  • seasonings to taste
   Pesto: 
  • 3 bunches of basil (fresh only, sorry but dried won't work here)
  • 1/8 C nutritional yeast
  • 1 more clove of garlic (this one I like to peel, wrap in foil, and bake until soft)
Steps: 
  • steam asparagus and cauliflower/rutabaga if using instead of tofu
  • drain and reserve liquid
  • add everything to Vitamix plus 1-2 cups of reserved steaming water
  • blend and season
  • dunk, drizzle, or just straight up devour!



No comments:

Post a Comment